- Opening times
Open to the public 24 hours a day. The interior cannot be visited
- Telephone number965613014
Constructed during the Almohade era between the end of the 12th century and the beginning of the 13th. After the Christian reconquest of the 13th century the main compound area and the wall were erected. This work to improve the defences was due to the stategic character of the historic frontier of Jijona, which from the Treaty of Almiza in 1244 marked the boundary of the kingdom of Aragon with the kingdom of Castille until 1304 when conquest by James II brought the townships of the south of the Alicante province into the kingdom of Valencia. Until then it was a key element in the defence of the Valencian border.
At the foot of the castle, in an easterly direction, the town of Xixona expanded.
Throughout the Middle Ages the importance of the castle diminished and so to did repairs to it. The last major work on it was recorded in the 15th century and there were some further minor repairs undertaken in the 16th century.
During the war of succession it served as a refuge for the population of Jijona, who supported Philip V. It was attacked by the Archduke Carlos’s troops (Austracistas) and almost completely destroyed. In 1708 Philip V conceded the castle to the people of Jijona by royal decree.